The Woodsonian National Institute

Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup 2010 Preview: Let's Go!

Something came up yesterday. But I'm gonna finish this out strong.

Group G: Brazil, Portugal, North Korea, Ivory Coast

Even though it may be down a Drogba, I still think this group still deserves the Death label. Three legitimate contenders for, at least, the semifinals and the most batshit crazy country on the planet. Chilling.

I'm just gonna come right out and say it. I think Brazil is gonna win the Cup. This team is scary. Everyone likes to say that this team is clinical, they rely on their athleticism, they betray the spirit of the beautiful game, they make Pele cry himself to sleep at night. Really? The same squad with Robinho, Kaka, Elano, Dani Alves, Nilmar, and Maicon? This is a squad of serious world class athletes with serious world class skills. They play organized because their coach, Dunga, is smart and knows how to win. I'm tempted to say they win the whole thing easily, but the Cup always gets a little wacky. Needless to say, I got them coming out on on top of this group.

It's also become fashionable to say that Portugal is in bad shape and will go home early. The way I see it, this team is built for the World Cup. They have a virtually impenetrable defense anchored by Pepe, a ridiculously creative midfield led by Deco, Danny, and Raul Meireles, and, of course, Cristiano Ronaldo, remade for this tournament as one of the most lethal strikers in the world. This team is designed to grind out results. They had a tough going early on in the qualifying, but they've evolved into a rock solid squad.

A couple other things that Portugal has going for it: its best player didn't break his arm last week and its head coach wasn't hired in late March. Such is the Ivory Coast's situation heading into the tournament. Before the draw, this team was rightly regarded as Africa's best hope, but it's hard to see them making much noise, in their current incarnation, against organized squads like Portugal and Brazil.

And North Korea, well, I think we're all a little confused that they're actually at the party. They do have Tae-Se Jong, the People's Wayne Rooney, so that's a plus. But, seriously. They'll be competing with New Zealand for 32nd place.

Brazil and Portugal advance.

Group H: Spain, Chile, Switzerland, Honduras

First and last place are pretty self-explanatory in this group. Spain has been the best football team since the last World Cup and Honduras only qualified because of a fluke header at RFK Stadium by the USA's worst player with one minute left in qualifying.

Chile and Switzerland are kind of a toss-up. Chile's got a gang of young attackers (or so I've been told) and the Swiss, while every time I see them play pretty much suck, always seem to make it to tournaments and then exceed expectations, unless they're playing at home. Call me crazy, but I'd rather see goals than a bunch of 0-0 games, so I'm just gonna advocate for Chile to get out of the round.

Spain and Chile advance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home