World Cup 2010 Preview: Let's Go!
I'm gonna try to get through the last five groups but I'm not making any promises.
Group D: Germany, Serbia, Australia, Ghana
This group is part of the reason why I took me so long to come with the second part of this preview. It might not be the Group of Death, but it's certainly Group of Deathish.
Before the draw, I was running around saying that the Aussies are the darkhorse team, but after seeing this draw, I'm just not feeling it anymore. They're still a quality side, they got ballers with a good amount of international experience, and an inspirational leader (who's not injured) in Tim Cahill, but word on the street is that their coach Pim Verbeek is trying to fit square holes in round pegs or something. An uninspired showing against the U.S. didn't do anything to dispel this notion, so I'm writing the Socceroos off.
I'd love to pick Ghana, but it's hard to do that with Michael Essien--the second best player in Africa--watching from the sidelines. They did make a surprise run in the African Nations Cup with a young squad (and no Essien), but it's hard to pick them against Germany and Serbia.
Despite the absence of Michael Ballack, Germany is a virtual lock to go to the second round. After that it could get a bit dicey for a team that's widely thought to be one of the weakest that Deutschland has put out out there in a while. But with the talent of Bastian Schweinsteiger (sp?), newly promoted captain Philip Lahm and an experienced strikeforce led by Klose and Podolski, these guys should fight their way through.
Serbia gets the edge because of their experience. Nemanja Vidic and Dejan Stankovic are built for big games and their coach, Randomir Antic, has won the La Liga and has managed both Real Madrid and Barcelona. This is just a classy team. I can seeing them getting points against Germany, winning this group, and going deep in the tournament.
Serbia and Germany advance.
Group E: Cameroon, Denmark, Japan, Netherlands
I'm sure that Wesley Sneijder and Robin Van Persie will eventually get into a fight about who's better-looking, but in the first round the Dutch, who, as usual, boast as much as talent as any team in the tournament, should have few problems moving on to the knockout rounds.
Japan has been in horrible form for months and they're the obvious pick for last place. So, it really comes down to Cameroon vs. Denmark. With Samuel Eto'o, Cameroon clearly will have the best player in this game, and, in looking at their rosters, they probably have an edge in talent and experience, too. Still, it's hard to look past the Danes, considering they won a tough Euro qualification group that featured Sweden and Portugal. The Danes really seem to have a good thing going, but my heart's saying Cameroon. Also, I just tried to justify Denmark going through by praising Nicklas Bendter. That's just wrong.
I'm going for it.
Netherlands and Cameroon go through.
Group F: Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia
Much like Germany, just based on pedigree and experience, you have to put Italia in the second round. Coach Lippi's squad selection has been questioned--especially the decision to leave Teaneck's finest Giuseppe Rossi at home--but with Gianluggi Buffon in goal, De Rossi controlling the midfield, and a potent strikeforce that includes veterans like Iaquinta, Di Natale, and Gilardino, these guys should cruise through the first round.
I'm not gonna front like I know anything about these other teams. All I can really say is Slovakia's Marek Hamsik is one of the best young players in Serie A, New Zealand has a defender on its roster that doesn't even start for New York Red Bulls, and the best Paraguayan striker, Salvador CabaƱas was shot in the head in Mexico City a few months ago. He won't be going to South Africa.
So, armed with this information: Hamsik has a great tournament, but can't inspire his team to the second round. New Zealand ends up with a -7 goal differential. And Paraguay rallies behind their fallen brother and scrapes through to the second round. Amazing.
Italy and Paraguay go through.
Groups G and H tomorrow. I promise.
Group D: Germany, Serbia, Australia, Ghana
This group is part of the reason why I took me so long to come with the second part of this preview. It might not be the Group of Death, but it's certainly Group of Deathish.
Before the draw, I was running around saying that the Aussies are the darkhorse team, but after seeing this draw, I'm just not feeling it anymore. They're still a quality side, they got ballers with a good amount of international experience, and an inspirational leader (who's not injured) in Tim Cahill, but word on the street is that their coach Pim Verbeek is trying to fit square holes in round pegs or something. An uninspired showing against the U.S. didn't do anything to dispel this notion, so I'm writing the Socceroos off.
I'd love to pick Ghana, but it's hard to do that with Michael Essien--the second best player in Africa--watching from the sidelines. They did make a surprise run in the African Nations Cup with a young squad (and no Essien), but it's hard to pick them against Germany and Serbia.
Despite the absence of Michael Ballack, Germany is a virtual lock to go to the second round. After that it could get a bit dicey for a team that's widely thought to be one of the weakest that Deutschland has put out out there in a while. But with the talent of Bastian Schweinsteiger (sp?), newly promoted captain Philip Lahm and an experienced strikeforce led by Klose and Podolski, these guys should fight their way through.
Serbia gets the edge because of their experience. Nemanja Vidic and Dejan Stankovic are built for big games and their coach, Randomir Antic, has won the La Liga and has managed both Real Madrid and Barcelona. This is just a classy team. I can seeing them getting points against Germany, winning this group, and going deep in the tournament.
Serbia and Germany advance.
Group E: Cameroon, Denmark, Japan, Netherlands
I'm sure that Wesley Sneijder and Robin Van Persie will eventually get into a fight about who's better-looking, but in the first round the Dutch, who, as usual, boast as much as talent as any team in the tournament, should have few problems moving on to the knockout rounds.
Japan has been in horrible form for months and they're the obvious pick for last place. So, it really comes down to Cameroon vs. Denmark. With Samuel Eto'o, Cameroon clearly will have the best player in this game, and, in looking at their rosters, they probably have an edge in talent and experience, too. Still, it's hard to look past the Danes, considering they won a tough Euro qualification group that featured Sweden and Portugal. The Danes really seem to have a good thing going, but my heart's saying Cameroon. Also, I just tried to justify Denmark going through by praising Nicklas Bendter. That's just wrong.
I'm going for it.
Netherlands and Cameroon go through.
Group F: Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia
Much like Germany, just based on pedigree and experience, you have to put Italia in the second round. Coach Lippi's squad selection has been questioned--especially the decision to leave Teaneck's finest Giuseppe Rossi at home--but with Gianluggi Buffon in goal, De Rossi controlling the midfield, and a potent strikeforce that includes veterans like Iaquinta, Di Natale, and Gilardino, these guys should cruise through the first round.
I'm not gonna front like I know anything about these other teams. All I can really say is Slovakia's Marek Hamsik is one of the best young players in Serie A, New Zealand has a defender on its roster that doesn't even start for New York Red Bulls, and the best Paraguayan striker, Salvador CabaƱas was shot in the head in Mexico City a few months ago. He won't be going to South Africa.
So, armed with this information: Hamsik has a great tournament, but can't inspire his team to the second round. New Zealand ends up with a -7 goal differential. And Paraguay rallies behind their fallen brother and scrapes through to the second round. Amazing.
Italy and Paraguay go through.
Groups G and H tomorrow. I promise.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home