The Woodsonian National Institute

Thursday, June 05, 2008

A Semi-Eucated Euro 2008 Preview (Part V)

I've put this off long enough.

Semifinals

Portugal vs. Germany

The fact that Portugal does not have a top striker will finally be too much for them to overcome. At this point in the tourney, C. Ronaldo is probably one tired douchebag. Yeah. I said it. The Germans, meanwhile, have four or five first-class options up front. Not to mention a strong defense and a creative and solid midfield. Sure, Jens Lehman is a nutjob but so was Barthez. I think he can hold it down back there.



Germany advances.

France vs. Russia

I think Russia could give an early scare but I see France pulling this one out. It's tempting to go with Russia and put the darkhorse all the way in the finals, but the French, I think, have been quietly building something special. Conventional wisdom would say that the loss of Zidane would have a negative effect on a team, but there's enough young talent and veteran leadership that'll make up for the bald man. I see this one being a high-scoring affair. Nevertheless, the experienced team will make it through



France advances.

Final

Germany vs. France

Germany will be the favorite in this match-up, and rightfully so. But I think the French have that special quality right now and, picking the favorites is pretty damn boring. Right? This team feels like a squad that knows that this is really their last chance for a while. In 2010, they might just be too young. In 2012 and 2014, it's anybody's guess. Though the big man is no longer on the pitch, this is is still the last chance for the Zidane generation. Germany is sill rising and they'll be even tougher in two or four years. I don't think, in this final, they'll be playing with the same desperation.



France are Euro 2008 Champions.

You heard it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home