The Woodsonian National Institute

Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Semi-Educated Euro 2008 Preview Part III

I hope you've enjoyed this one and this one. Let's finish off the groups.

Group D

Greece: As we all know, Greece pulled off the upset of the century with their Euro 2004 victory. Can they do it again? I don't think anyone that's not Greek is really tipping them to do big things this go-round. They are known to have a defensive style which bodes well for tournaments. And, like Turkey, they got a lot of ballers in the same few teams in the Greek League so, yeah, familiarity.

Spain: Arguably the most prolific and talented team in the tournament, but until they make it to the medal rounds of a big tournament, it's hard to pick them to really go far. Still, the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Fernando Torres, Sergio Ramos and Iker Cassilas can't be counted out. They're all young players, too, so they shouldn't even be concentrating on the bad memories that the country has stored away. They should be thinking about their own legacy. If this collection of ballers were wearing any shirt other than the Spanish one, I think they'd be the consensus choice for the champs.

Russia: True story: I watched a Euro 2008 qualifier between Russia and Macedonia. And the Russians are a speedy, talented, fun-ass team. They, famously, outlated the English to make it to the big dance and with Guus Hiddink they have a tactician that ranks up there with any manager in the tournament. A bunch of the team plays for Zenit St. Petersburg so maybe that club's UEFA Cup win will give them some momentum. Yep, I'm streching. This team is my darkhorse pick.

Sweden: The Swedes always show up for these big tourneys and they often do better than anyone expected. But, I don't think this is their year. Sure, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, they got one of the top strikers on the continent, but the call-up of Heinrik Larsson just seems a little desperate. I love big homey, but he's 36 and he can't even tear it up in the Swedish League.

Prediction: Spain never seems to have trouble in the group stages, so they should be through. The second team out of this group could really go in all three directions. Greece is the defending champs, of course and Sweden probably has the most European experience. But Russia seems to be a squad that's peaking at the right time.




Spain and Russia advance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home